[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Inbount NAT won't answer on WAN i/f
 Date:  Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:38:17 -0500
Stupid question, but are you scanning from the inside of the firewall?
The Inbound NAT page states - "Note: It is not possible to access
NATed services using the WAN IP address from within LAN (or an
optional network)."

I just tried to test what would happen if I created a Inbound NAT and
firewall rules for SMTP (I do not host any  of my mail or web on my
LAN, but I do have servers...)  I created an Inbound NAT on my WAN
interface IP with external port and internal port 25 and my SBS as the
NAT IP. Allowed creation of the Firewall Rule (Pass -> Interface: WAN
-> Source IP: any -> Source Port: any -> Destination IP: SBS ->
Destination Port: 25). I tested this by using remote desktop
connection to connect to a server at one of my client's site, then
used telnet from there to connect back to my WAN IP on port 25. I
connected to my SBS's Exchange as expected...

Have you tried testing from the "outside"?

James W. McKeand