[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  uffe <uffe at northpole dot se>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Grabbing internal ip address
 Date:  Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:33:00 -0800
ulf,

> The Monowall exposes my internal ip adress (NAT address). A security risk?
> regards

Unless you did some major modifications to your default m0n0
installation (advanced routing, etc), I don't think m0n0wall's the
thing that's exposing your internal NAT address.  You're probably
noticing it from your application level, where some applications
enclose the detected IP at the application layer.

IMHO, for the most part, if it is a private IP range (not internet
routable), exposing it to the outside world usually isn't going to be
much of a security risk.  Although, I'm sure for a determined attacker
just knowing your external IP is enough to wreak havoc.

/sylikc