[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 To:  Michael Gressick <mg at whitehousepost dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Need a recomendation on a 1U box for m0n0
 Date:  Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:39:01 -0500
Hey Michael,

We looked at http://www.mbx.com/ since they can custom build systems in 1U form
factor and even make them look cool w/ graphics (if that is of interest).

Anyway, we spec'd out a decent box for around $1500 from them. Looking at about
the same specs as you. What we needed was a strong box for IPSec, full
redundancy and in a 1U.

They got us 4 NICS, mirrored (40GB) SATA hard drives (although anything over
6MB is a waste) and even redundant power supplies.

You could go a step further and get a HiFN card to do the SSL work. Of course
that is the very high end.

What I would recommend is one of these:

http://www.acrosser.com/firewall/product/9926.htm

if you dont need or want to waste the harddrives and power supplies and they
are about 1/3 the price. They have 4 NICS (NatSemi's which are nice), compact
flash and a mini-pci and extra PCI if you want to use an SSL excelerator card.
Although they do claim 60 Mbps throughput with 3DES out of the box.

That should be more than enough to handle you needs.

Chet Harvey
Protecting your Digital Assets
703.407.7311