[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  fisch <fisch at conne dash island dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] poor performance!
 Date:  Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:22:16 +0100
On Mi, 2004-11-17 at 16:52 -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 4:38 pm, Jason J. Ellingson wrote:
> > Since you are talking about data between the Intel PCI and 3Com PCI card
> > (and not the ISA 3Com card), I'd look there..
>
> Actually (and this is one of the things I *really* like about m0n0wall),
> I swapped the interface assignments around and tried it with xl card as
> LAN and ep card as WAN and get the exact same behavior. For what that's
> worth...
>

> > I see that the two PCI cards are on the same IRQ.... IRQ 9 (which itself is
> > a cascaded IRQ and often used by other things as well)... use the DOS
> > utilities that come with the intel and 3com to change their IRQs to
> > different numbers...
>
> OK, if I can find the utilities I will give that a shot. What are good
> IRQs to use with FreeBSD?

That doesn't depend on the operating system, it'a a hardware question.
The best performance is reached when one IRQ is only used by one device.
For example IRQ 7 is normaly used for LPT, IRQ 3 and 5 are used for COM1
and COM2 - if you don't use your paralell and serial interfaces this is
a good choice.

bye
fisch