[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David J. Weller-Fahy" <dave dash lists dash m0n0wall at weller dash fahy dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0Wall Bug???
 Date:  Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:19:58 +0100
* Jeb Barger <jeb at rev dash x dot com> [2004-11-14 07:45 +0100]:
> When using the Ping tool, the script parses out (removes) any hyphens in
> the host and/or domain name
> before pinging the target.  Is this a legal character issue?
>
> ie:  Pinging www.my-domain.com results in pings being directed at
> www.mydomain.com

Interesting.  I'm also having this issue.  However, try pinging just
'my-domain.com' (leave off the initial 'www.').  For example, when I
attempt to ping (literally) 'another-example.com' it strips the dash
out, and appends my default domain (weller-fahy.com) to the result.  So
the ping goes out to 'anotherexample.weller-fahy.com' which is
definitely not what I expected.

Have you found an explanation for this behavior?

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]