[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason J. Ellingson" <jason at ellingson dot com>
 To:  "'m0n0wall list'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: FreeBSD 5.3 Released
 Date:  Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:01:48 -0600
I agree as well...

If you want an AP... then get one.  They aren't much more than a wireless
card.  Plus, you can place it where ever it can get best coverage for you
(rather than just where a signal from m0n0 could make it).  Stop trying to
make m0n0 into a LinkSys wireless firewall...

I think the product should remain a firewall/router appliance and leave most
everything else alone... at least out of the base system.  You want to add
to it, then go ahead... it is open source.

I think IPSEC and PPTP is great to have as it is still routing a network or
end-point to your network.  This is why m0n0 has it -- (and it works great!)

The only things I am hoping for (as it doesn't detract from m0n0's purpose)
is the ability to run m0n0 as a transparent bridging firewall (instead of a
NAT firewall) without needing to use the OPT1 port (so IPSEC/PPTP pops up on
the protected side of the bridge) *OR* support WAN/OPT1 IP reflection from
the LAN side (so when IPSEC/PPTP connects and show up on the LAN side, it
can talk to the "real world" IPs on the bridged OPT1 interface).

As I am a Windows programmer with no FreeBSD experience, I can't even begin
to understand the difficulties with these things, no less fix them.  So in
the meantime, I am not bitching, whining, or complaining.  Instead I just
thank those for what they have done so far and let them know I am excited to
see what they do next.

If I can help the cause, please let me know.
Jason J Ellingson
Technical Consultant

615.301.1682 : nashville
612.605.1132 : minneapolis