[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: FreeBSD 5.3 Released
 Date:  Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:22:48 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:

> Probably the thing the most people are looking for is driver support
> for 802.11g cards.

Sorry to revive an old thread like this, but this is on my mind a lot
now that FreeBSD 5.3 is RELEASE quality and so far I haven't seen any
mention of m0n0wall developers considering 5.x yet.

The advantages I'd primarily be looking for in a 5.x kernel based m0n0wall
are mostly hardware support related. The SMP thing is really nice too, as
it would open the door to using m0n0wall as a full blown core router!

802.11a/g cards are available in 5.3, as are NDIS cards. Also available
only on 5.3, AFAICT are the AES capable soekris hardware encryption cards.
I'm pretty sure you can only run the vpn14xx cards under 5.x.

Plus, 5.x has much improved firewire and usb support, which can be potential
network device connection mediums. (FreeBSD's ethernet-over-firewire is non-
standard though) And I think Bluetooth support is new in 5.x.

I've seen a few companies making T1 CSU/DSU cards available for FreeBSD
too. This adds to the core router idea. They're not likely to work under 4.x.

So are the primary developer(s) thinking about 5.3 yet? How difficult
would it be to move to 5.x, or better yet, support both kernels with the
same base system?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,