[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian <belstsrv at nauticom dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic Shaper + VoIP
 Date:  Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:56:25 -0500
I was wondering....I have 512/512 DSL and when my connection is taxed
either up or down, even with just normal surfing which might max the
connection for a few seconds, my VoIP quality suffers a bit.  I used the
shaper wizard to create a basic shaping setup.  I've then added a static
IP assignment for my VoIP adapter and created and up and down rule that
sends any traffic leaving from or destined to that IP in to the highest
priority queue.  I am just wondering if it's possible that the shaper
can not react fast enough to keep the VoIP calls 100% clear.

I was thinking perhaps I should create a separate pipe of 100 kb just
for VoIP that would always be in reserve.  I realize that my main
connection would be robbed of that bandwidth, even when it is not in use
(a limitation of the m0n0 shaper right now).  But, I do not upload or
download enough that I'd miss that speed very often.

Is that a wise move or should I be looking to do some other setup
perhaps?  My VoIP adapter has QoS capabilities, but I'd really rather
keep it on the inside of my m0n0 and not between m0n0 and the DSL
modem.  I've seen people suggest putting the adapter after m0n0 and
before the rest of the LAN, but I'm not sure how to exactly set that up
so that the adapter gets and IP but does not pass it long as a bridged
device.

Anyway, before I ramble too much, if anyone has ideas on how to best set
up m0n0 and VoIP, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Brian