[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  ocl <ocl at arayan dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wishlist
 Date:  Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:01:28 +0200
Oli wrote on 2004-11-23 03:23:
> * "Josh McAllister" <josh at bluehornet dot com> wrote:
>
>>Password protection may not be a bad thing... but part of the point of
>>the console is to recover from a lost password.
>
> What if you lost your password to console ;)

Can happen. A couple of months ago, our people bought a used
CNC machining center (a gigantic thing) and it had Solaris
on it. Without any information about what the password was.
Guess what. Took me 15-20 mins to remove the OS disk and then
altering the root pwd to blank took about 15 secs.

Personally, I can live with the risk of losing pwds, a lot
less likelier than fiddly fingers accidentally altering
something without my knowledge [it could even be me ;-) ]

> Point of the console is initial setup. As soon you're able to connect
> to the webgui you can turn off console.
>
> The original poster may check "Disable console menu" in
> http://m0n0_ip/system_advanced.php

Thanks, I'll try that. But, it turns m0n0 into a browser-only box.

Cheers,
Ray