[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  interface detection method
 Date:  Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:55:55 -0500
Hello,

I'm curious: How does m0n0wall detect available
network interfaces? Does it use a driver information
database of sorts, or does it use a FreeBSD API call?

I'm curious because I'd like to get an idea of how
difficult it would be to get a product like a Sangoma
ADSL card or T1 card working as a m0n0wall interface...

Could I simply recompile m0n0wall with the Sangoma
driver in-kernel and it would work? Or would I have
to hack the interface detection code? Or is it worse
than I can imagine? :)

Sure, Sangoma cards are expensive, but there's a lot
to be said for a neat, integrated, webGUI-based
router/firewall package!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,