[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk
 To:  Dino Edwards <computerservices at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FTP Server Issues Behind Monowall-Take Two
 Date:  Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:02:30 +0000
Hi,

> Has anyone gotten FTP to work behind monowall with an IP address not
> assigned to the WAN interface? I've tried 1:1 mapping, and server nat
> but nothing works. I have gotten it to work with the IP address
> assigned to the WAN interface but beyond that no workie! My feeling is
> that FTP implementation is broke when it comes to server nat or 1:1
> mapping with an IP not assigned to the WAN interface. I've gotten a
> lot of suggestions from people already, but most of the time I've
> gotten suggestions that don't jive with the way monowall works.
>
> Other services such as SMTP, HTTP, POP3, terminal services, VNC work
> perfectly either through 1:1 mapping or server NAT. The only thing
> common between the above mentioned services is that they use 1 port
> where FTP uses at least two ports.
>
> Any thoughts on this? This would probably be a good place to hear some
> feedback from Mr. Kasper concerning this issue.

have you forced your FTP client to use 'active' FTP mode?  With passive
FTP, the data connection can occur on any port (decided upon by the connection)
wheres with active the connection is stuck to port 20 (data) 21 (command)
this makes FTP unique compared to the other protocols you have specified.

alan