[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <mkhitrov at umd dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Very slow download, please help with configuration.
 Date:  Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:38:37 -0500
Once again have to ask for help as I couldn't find much in the
documentation or with google :(

As I'm gradually getting my firewall the way I want it I decided to run
some speed tests and compare it to my old d-link router. I'm on a cable
connection which should be at 4000/384. Before m0n0wall and during the
day time I used to get exactly those results, + or - 5% or so. Right
before switching to the new firewall I tested my d-link and got about
2700 down and 370 up. Still ok.

With m0n0wall on the other hand, I've been trying to figure this out for
the past hour... I keep on getting download in the 100s. Literally I
would get around 260 on upload and like 120 on download. Now I figured
this has to be some traffic shaper problem, but disabling it seems to
make things worse. When I ran the automatic wizard and set it for
4000/384 my upload stayed the same but download went up to the 350
range. Still, that's way off. I have seen the faq about ACK packets, and
it seems like the wizard does that automatically as well. That change
seems to help, but not enough to even get me past 1Mbit barrier.

Did anyone experience similar problems and what did you do about them?

By the way, this is not (or at least I can't imagine how it can be) a
hardware problem. I'm actually running m0n0wall right now on a 2.0GHz P4
with 1GB or ram. I know it's an overkill, but this was the only box that
wasn't being used at the time. Still testing :)