[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Netiquette (was: IP nat loopback)
 Date:  Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:08:19 -0500
Believe it or not, I was not trying to start a flame war (minor as it
has been), so I apologize. I was just being cheeky after working most
of the night on a project. I am not the only person who may be
violating netiquette by top-posting. I looked at the last couple of
days of posts and a majority of the responses are top-posts. So I
thought a tread on netiquette is needed.

I have downloaded the program Chris has suggested (Outlook-Quotefix
available here:
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/) seem to work
well. It does not affect the HTML emails my clients send, this is a
plus. I will change my habits for the list, but not my business.

Netiquette rules:

Top-posting - bad. Taking time to edit your response and include only
what you are answering - good.

If you cannot add anything to the solution don't reply to a posting.

Be brief - Keep it short, but not terse. (I remember a response to
someone's questions being - yes, yes, yes - but no explanation.)

Chris Bagnall wrote:
> General netiquette is that sigs should be no more than 4 lines. That
> includes really annoying corporate disclaimers. Since we're on the
> subject of netiquette, it'd be nice if people posting from their
> offices might have a word with their IT departments about this.
> Posting a url for a disclaimer might be a good alternative if you
> really *must* have a ridiculously long disclaimer on the damned
thing.

I think everybody agrees with this one.

Are there other netiquette rules that need to be followed?

James W. McKeand