[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] booting off a CF card
 Date:  Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:20:36 -0500
sai wrote:
> I am trying to boot a generic PC m0n0 off a CF Card. I find that the
> boot takes about 1 minute 40 seconds. Booting from a hard disk was
> certainly much faster, though I didnt time it.
>
> I am connecting the CF Card reader via the USB port.
>
> Is this sort of time normal or am I doing something wrong?
>
> sai

Booting from a HD will always be faster than a USB device. I am
assuming the USB in question is 1.1 - which get only 12 Mbps of
bandwidth (2.0 is supposed to be 480 Mbps). Even a slow HD will have
much higher bandwidth than USB 1.1 - Mode 2 Ultra DMA is 33 MBps (Does
that convert to 264 Mbps?). ATA 66, 100 or 133 will be even higher.

IMHO, A CF to IDE converter would be better than USB.

James W. McKeand