[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Oli <bsd03 at gvs dot dyn dot bawue dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] confirmed wifi problem still exists.
 Date:  Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:21:11 +0100
* Phill R Kenoyer <phill at bmg50 dot com> wrote:

> I did a test this morning on m0n0wall to see if the wifi bug still
> exists in the hostap mode drivers.  It does.
>
> Nov 26 03:11:18 ap2 /kernel: wi1: timeout in wi_seek to 1e3/0; last
> status 81e3
> Nov 26 03:11:18 ap2 /kernel: wi1: timeout in wi_seek to 15e/3c; last
> status 8000
> Nov 26 03:11:18 ap2 /kernel: wi1: timeout in wi_cmd 0x010b; event
> status 0x0000
> Nov 26 03:11:18 ap2 /kernel: wi1: xmit failed
> Nov 26 03:11:18 ap2 /kernel: wi1: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> Nov 26 03:11:18 ap2 /kernel: wi1: xmit failed
> Nov 26 03:16:24 **********  netcheck: ap2 DOWN!  **********
>
> If your connected to m0n0wall using wirelss 802.11b and put your client
> wifi card into "power save mode" then the wifi card on m0n0wall will
> lockup.  The only way I know of to fix this is to have m0n0wall reboot
> when the error is detected.

I tried to reproduce this behaviour, it's slightly different in my
setup. When i put my client into powersave mode it also locks up.

Other clients also connected via wireless will still have a link
to the m0n0wall.

But i don't need to reboot the m0n0 box to fix this. I just turn
off powersave on the client and the link is back.

So for me the problem seems to be on the client side.

> This week I'm going to try and figure out a way to get a shell script
> to run on the box and check for the error message.  When found it will
> reboot.

Did you try <shellcmd> ?

> Note: Hostap on Linux does not suffer from this problem.
>
> I don't know, but maybe upgrading the hostap drivers in the FreeBSD
> kernel will fix it?

There is no special hostap driver in FreeBSD, it's all done in
device 'wi'.