[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ben Z <b underscore zarboni at rogers dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  mfsroot ... I know its been beaten to death but...
 Date:  Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:58:15 -0500 (EST)
Hi all;

I have been given the task of playing with m0n0wall as
part of a school
project. I have decided to add a few (simple) php
funtctions that will
set defaults etc that I choose. That part works ok.

I am developing on a Linux box and have read again and
again on here
that BSD is needed to make/modify any new versions of
the filesystem
image. I thought I could be clever and try and save
myself the hassle of
installing FreeBSD, and tried to modify the filesystem
while its running
on the Soekris board (using exec.php).

Essentially, what I have done it to add my php files,
a (slighlty)
modified config.xml to the box (all in the proper
directories). I mount
the compact flash read-write and I remove the
mfsroot.gz from it. From
there I tar & gzip the entire filesystem (excluding a
few files) into a
new mfsroot.gz onto the CF card (seemingly ok, no
errors are thrown).

Everything looks good (relatively similar sized file
results), but when
I reboot, the kernel can't mount the filesystem
anymore. I get a "Root
mount failed: 22" and it asks me to specify a manual
root filesystem.

Any ideas? I just can't seem to figure out what I am
clobbering that
results in this error.

Cheers,

Ben Z