[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ben Z" <b underscore zarboni at rogers dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] mfsroot ... I know its been beaten to death but...
 Date:  Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:48:06 -0500
> mfsroot.gz is a complete filesystem.  You are probably (certainly)
clobbering
> that.
>
> I suggest that you do what I do - gunzip mfsroot.gz, mount the resulting
using
> vnconfig to define a virtual disk and then mount as normal.  Make your
> changes, then umount and gzip (-9) the result back into mfsroot.gz and put
> that back into the image.
>
> Peter

I have certainly tried to do that, but the distro of Linux (Mandrake) I am
using will only allow me to mount the filesystem read-only.
What I have tried to do is zip the entire filesystem (from the Soekris board
using the exec.php page) while it is running on the Soekirs board. I have
(seemingly) included all files that are present in the original zipped
filesystem, with the addition of the new ones I have created.

If there is an easier way to mount and modify the filesystem in Linux, I
would really appreciate hearing about it. I am just curious to see if it can
be done similarly to the way I am trying to do it, with the exception of
having it work :)

Ben Z