[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  OT: Wireless AP's
 Date:  Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:47:38 -0600
Sorry for the somewhat OT, but I know that there's a lot of folks on
this list that do this stuff everyday.  Please reply to me directly, and
if any others on the list want to know what I found, I'll forward it on.

Well, I moved to a new house this last week, a spec home in which there
is no CAT5 wiring in it for data.  I currently have an Orinoco 802.11b
Access Point that has been good to me, but I constantly have to tell the
wife to change channels on the phone because it beats up the signal
pretty bad.

My cable modem, m0n0wall, and AP are currently upstairs, with the
servers, workstations, TiVo, and XBox downstairs.  The TiVo is 802.11B.
I need to transfer video from upstairs to downstairs, and may get
another XBox to act as a MythTV frontend for upstairs, with the backend
being downstairs.

Bottom line, I need a fast, reliable wireless link from upstairs to
downstairs.  As the DHCP server is downstairs, I need the wireless link
to be a bridge, not separate routed subnets.  I would like to have some
enterprise features, like security and SNMP monitoring capabilities.  A
quick google turned up the DLink DWL-7100AP, which, if I used one on
each floor, would allow me to get some good throughput, and I could
convert the TiVo to wired ethernet and avoid the 2.4GHz spectrum leaving
my phones alone.  Anyone have any input on these, or have advice on
alternatives?

Justin