[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  BD <thebd at comcast dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DHCP Relay not working?
 Date:  Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:08:18 -0800
Hi,
I'm currently running 1.2b2, attempting to get the DHCP Relay service
setup. I've searched the mailing lists and haven't been able to find
any information on it.

Currently, I live in a dorm room at San Diego State University. What
I'm trying to do, is setup m0n0wall as a firewall, but have the SDSU
DHCP servers still assign IP addresses to computers behind the m0n0
firewall.

However, I'm running into some problems with it. Right now I have a
test network setup, with a m0n0wall based computer (celeron 733 with
128mb of RAM, no hdd, cd-rom distribution) connecting to the wall jack,
through ethernet controller ed0 (WAN), then out to a hub through
ethernet controller rl0 (LAN), which my laptop is currently plugged in
to. I've setup m0n0wall successfully- I've turned off it's DHCP server
and can still connect to it with a manual IP. I've also turned on the
DHCP Relay service, and gave it the IP of the DHCP server that assigns
IPs here. However, my laptop is still pulling 169 addresses.

I think the problem may lie in the fact that my residence hall has four
different IP ranges assigned by the DHCP server. the DHCP server is
130.191.200.55, while the ranges are 146.244.195.x, 146.244.196.x,
130.191.195.x, and 130.191.196.x. The m0n0 computer has a 130.191.196.x
address. Additionally, the subnet mask for all four ranges is
255.255.255.0- so no ranges can really talk to one another. Each range
has a router at .254- and I believe that is what is used to pass on the
DHCP packets already to the DHCP server, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what's causing DHCP relay not to work, but it may just be
the funky layout of the network here. I can't run a different firewall
distribution, as this computer has no hard drive- and I don't have the
money to get one for it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could
change to get it working?

Thanks.