[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 To:  BD <thebd at comcast dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP Relay not working?
 Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:28:41 -0600
On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 21:08 -0800, BD wrote:
> Currently, I live in a dorm room at San Diego State University. What
> I'm trying to do, is setup m0n0wall as a firewall, but have the SDSU
> DHCP servers still assign IP addresses to computers behind the m0n0
> firewall.

You don't want DHCP Relay, you want a firewalling bridge.  DHCP relay is
more for setups where a person wants one centralized DHCP server that
feeds different clients on different subnets, with IP's.  Think of VPN's
- maybe the remote sites don't have a server, but need more of the
"advanced" dhcp options sent to the clients (ones that
m0n0/Linksys/Netgear don't send).  This allows the LAN interface of m0n0
to listen on the LAN interface for DHCP request, and act as a sort of
DHCP proxy.

I've never setup m0n0 as a firewalling bridge, but I've seen the
settings in there.

Justin