[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  BD <thebd at comcast dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Passing DHCP through a filtered bridge?
 Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:56:57 -0800
I figure this was a different enough subject to diverge from my
previous e-mail about setting up a DHCP Relay. I have since changed
m0n0wall to be a bridge- but that is not quite exactly what I want.
When it is in bridge mode, the computers on the OPT1 side can receive
IP address by the DHCP server on the other side of the WAN interface
fine, but all of the traffic from the network connected to the WAN
interface, of course, gets through. I tried to enable filtered
bridging, and forwarded all of the IPs for the DHCP server and routers
on the network hooked up to WAN onto OPT1, but then no computers on the
OPT1 network can receive IP addresses anymore.

Is there any way to pass through the DHCP packets between the WAN
interface and the bridged OPT1 interface with filtering enabled? I'm
not sure what type of rule I would have to add to allow this, or if it
would be something completely different involving NAT or something
else. I really want to keep away from setting up my own router/DHCP
server and assigning 192.x or 10.x or whatever range to my computers if
I can use my school's DHCP server instead. Does anyone have any ideas?