[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  WipeOut <wipe underscore out at users dot sourceforge dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Allocate a dedicated amount of bandwidth to one host?
 Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:34:48 +0000
Hi,

I have a VoIP box sitting on my LAN that uses an internet based PSTN
termination provider..

I have tried the standard traffic shaping setup and created two queues
(one high priority and one low priority) and put all the VoIP traffic
through the high priority queue and everything else through the low
priority queue but this hasn't really helped, if a phone call is in
session and a pc downloads something the voice breaks up badly..

Is there a way to guarantee an amount of bandwidth to the VoIP host so
that no matter what the other PC's on the network do there will always
be enough bandwidth for the VoIP to operate??
Or am I really waisting my time trying to manage this over the internet
where there is no control anyway? (especially since its inbound traffic
that I am trying to manage.. As well as outbound obviously)

Any help or input appreciated..

Thanks..