[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  serial interface support (external/internal POTS modems)
 Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:48:38 -0500
Hello,

I know serial interfaces work under FreeBSD. I used
to run an external serial modem as my primary internet
connection before I got DSL and... switched to Gentoo. :)

So, is the lack of serial modem support in m0n0wall
based on lack of developer interest? Or is it more
serious, such as a technical difficulty?

I ask because m0n0wall already has ppp support, so
I wouldn't think adding serial interface support would
be all that difficult. Lots of logic for dialing and
ppp link setup, but most of the necessary software is
already included in the distribution, right?

And then we could have fail-over WAN interfaces and
dial-on-demand dialup links and such, making m0n0wall
great for... even more stuff...

Just curious. Sounds like a neat rainy day project for
me if no-one forsees any massive show-stoppers. Let me
know.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,