[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  jesse at wingnet dot net, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] serial interface support (external/internal POTS modems)
 Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:55:16 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news at sea dot gmane dot org] On Behalf Of Jesse Guardiani
Sent: November 30, 2004 7:49 PM
To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

Hello,

I know serial interfaces work under FreeBSD. I used
to run an external serial modem as my primary internet
connection before I got DSL and... switched to Gentoo. :)

So, is the lack of serial modem support in m0n0wall
based on lack of developer interest? Or is it more
serious, such as a technical difficulty?
[Mitch says:] ,
[Mitch says:]

I would echo the importance of failover, but that's something m0n0 doesn't
do yet...

Perhaps when there is failover support adding a serial option for a
low-speed backup will make sense

Personally, I would look forward to it - particularly if someone can find a
compatible mini-PCI for the soekris or pcengines platforms... if it's a PC
only feature, I'd still end up using NetGear's for those cases...

m/