[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fig <figmail at comcast dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  [m0n0wall] What hardware will I need?
 Date:  Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:04:46 -0500
Hi all-

I want to run a m0n0wall server on my LAN (cable, 384k up and 3 meg
down). I have toyed with it on older kit (P450 and 256MB PC100), but now
I am looking at building a machine for real from some parts I have to spare.

I have a Duron 700 (Socket A) that I want to use, and will order some
Crucial DDR to go with it on a Soyo K7VME motherboard. I run 4 game
servers on my lan, and need to run more port forwarding entries than my
Linksys firewall had slots for. I also want to VPN 2 or 3 lans together
between monowall routers, all on broadband. The VPNs will be for some
content transferring and some gaming, such as StarCraft and a couple old
IPX/SPX games. The normal (non VPN) connection will get around 12
external players at games like Half Life, where lag matters.

Will a Duron 700 and 128MB of DDR be enough for this? Will I see any
benefit from going to 256MB?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive 1U rackmount
case that is only about half depth? I am looking at the Supermicro
SC512, but wanted to poll for suggestions before I plunked down the cash.

Thanks,

Fig