[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: serial interface support (external/internal POTS modems)
 Date:  Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:33:12 -0500
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:44:35 -0500, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net> wrote:

> Yeah, well, back to the original subject: I suppose this means
> that just about everyone is in favor of serial device support
> in m0n0wall, and it's just a matter of implementation?

I believe that's correct.  The most difficult part would be
determining when the primary link goes down, dialing the backup
connection, then determining when it comes back up to drop the backup
link.  There isn't an ideal way to do this.  Would have to rely on
pings, or something like that, to determine the link state.  And that
would require some sort of daemon running constantly, checking link
status.  Not pretty any way you slice it.

Also would have to determine what constitutes "down".  My ISP (cable)
sometimes drops packets for about a minute, is fine for about a
minute, back and forth like that for hours.   For situations like
that, I'd like to see a forced failover either for a given period of
time, or until I tell it otherwise.  Other times I might have 3-4
second ping times for hours, in which case I'd like to see it consider
the link down if latency is over X ms.

-Chris