[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Barry Mather" <barry dot mather at dorecentres dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: serial interface support (external/internal POTS modems)
 Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:24:55 +1100
As a slight side note, in about 8 locations I manage in the uk, I have
vigor 2600 adsl routers running, they are adsl and isdn routers, they
have a facility of when the dsl drops out, the isdn dials up, and
maintains connectivity, even ipsec tunnels stay alive ! kind of
important for running business critical applications, however, you need
an isp that supports this dial backup method that'll give you the same
routing and static ip on the dialup ... I use zen.co.uk for this. ...
Might be worth someone taking a look at how they do it ...

Having said that, in a few locations over here in OZ (where the isps
don't support dial backup in this way) I am using efficient networks
5861 adsl / shdsl routers, the console port on them can be configured as
a dial backup method, it works very well (tested in the uk) and the
entire router runs on openbsd .... would be much easier to see how it
does this ...

The efficient routers are available in the UK VERY cheaply as british
telecom use them as the business dsl solutions .. and as such there are
HEAPS of them floating around ebay ...

Just my 2c worth

(that's AU$ so not worth very much)