[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ben Z <b underscore zarboni at rogers dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [Bulk] [m0n0wall] Known issues with m0n0wall/hostAP?
 Date:  Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:02:59 -0500
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 13:07, Ben Z wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I've been trying to use m0n0wall in a wireless network with limited
> success. I have read many previous posts abut WEP and DHCP problems, so,
> for the moment WEP is disabled.
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> I set up a Soekris board to act as an Access Point, and a Wrap board as
> a wireless client. The Wrap board is connected to my PC on its LAN port,
> and the WAN has been set to wi0 so it can listen to my Soekris/m0n0wall
> AP. The Soekris board has the OPT1 as the wi0 port, and I have bridged
> it to LAN (which is set up as a DHCP server).
>
> I have had LOTS of trouble handing out an IP address from the Soekris
> board to the Wrap board. It seems to hand out an IP address after a
> strange sequence of rebooting both boards in different orders. After a
> while, magically the Wrap board will reboot with an IP address.
>
> I know its not a problem of wireless signal as my Wrap board (set to BSS
> mode) is associating with the Soerkis board. It seems to be some sort of
> DHCP issue on the Soekris Access Point config.
>
> I have tested with a separate laptop and wireless card. It also has a
> lot of trouble getting an IP address from the m0n0wall board.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone know of any issues in the hostap drivers??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben Z

So, with more and more narrowing down, I think I might have a problem
with the firewall rules. I have set the Wireless (wi0) and LAN
interfaces to allow any traffic to and from any destination. In the
filter logs however, I notice that DHCP requests are being blocked.
anyone else have this problem? I think that if I specify to allow UDP
and TCP it will not block DHCP requests, but I'd rather let any traffic
on these ports pass (for now).