[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "'Chris Buechler'" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: serial interface support (external/internal POTS modems)
 Date:  Thu, 2 Dec 2004 01:43:36 -0800

> Yeah, well, back to the original subject: I suppose this means
> that just about everyone is in favor of serial device support
> in m0n0wall, and it's just a matter of implementation?

I believe that's correct.  The most difficult part would be
determining when the primary link goes down, dialing the backup
connection, then determining when it comes back up to drop the backup
link.  There isn't an ideal way to do this.  Would have to rely on
pings, or something like that, to determine the link state.  And that
would require some sort of daemon running constantly, checking link
status.  Not pretty any way you slice it.

[Mitch says:]
There is USB support for the UC-232A usb to serial converter, which would
allow access to a second serial port for something like a plain ordinary
external modem...

I once had a simple connection watchdog written in (GASP!) PERL, and though
VERY ugly, the principle is simple enough - the complex part becomes
allowing users to set their own link bad / good hysteresis (I'm sure I'm
spelling that wrong)

m/