[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Theory behind Magic Shaper?
 Date:  Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:14:03 -0700

>> are there any plans to add voip to wondershaper? alot of us are using
>> m0no and vonage these days.
>
> i guess it wouldnt be difficult to add the RTP port list into the high
> priority queues. however, the port ranges for most RTP/VoIP services
> are wide, and adding in too many ports like this may defeat the
> purpose of having a traffic shaper to begin with.

I didn't bother with the port ranges, I just added inbound+outbound
traffic to Vonage's entire netblock to my high priority list.  The
amount of traffic generated by web traffic isn't significant enough to
be important as far as priorities, although if you really cared you
could add the same IP range, port 80 to a lower priority queue first.

I wouldn't recommend hardcoding this into m0n0wall, but it's served it's
purpose here.

--
They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken