[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian <belstsrv at nauticom dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Theory behind Magic Shaper?
 Date:  Sat, 04 Dec 2004 08:52:41 -0500
Dave Warren wrote:

>>> are there any plans to add voip to wondershaper? alot of us are using
>>> m0no and vonage these days.
>>

>> i guess it wouldnt be difficult to add the RTP port list into the
>> high priority queues. however, the port ranges for most RTP/VoIP
>> services are wide, and adding in too many ports like this may defeat
>> the purpose of having a traffic shaper to begin with.
>

> I didn't bother with the port ranges, I just added inbound+outbound
> traffic to Vonage's entire netblock to my high priority list.  The
> amount of traffic generated by web traffic isn't significant enough to
> be important as far as priorities, although if you really cared you
> could add the same IP range, port 80 to a lower priority queue first.
>
> I wouldn't recommend hardcoding this into m0n0wall, but it's served
> it's purpose here.

What I did was to add a static IP mapping in DHCP for my VoIP adapter
and then added shaper rules to push any traffic to/from that IP in to
the high priority queues.  I am not sure though if this works correctly
because if I start web surfing or something and try to use my VoIP, it
seems like bandwidth is still robbed from the VoIP and the quality
suffers.    Maybe I did not set it up right, or is it possible the
shaper can not prioritize the traffic fast enough to keep the VoIP
clear?  If it matters, my connection is 512/512.