[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Chris Buechler'" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] NIC problem with Microsoft Virtual PC
 Date:  Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:24:11 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 03:02:16 +0530, Manickam Murugan
> <admin at easybrowsing dot com> wrote:
>>
>> I can install Smoothwall/IPcop/m0n0wall/CDrouter in the Virtual
>> Machine successfully. However, the
>> Smoothwall/IPcop/m0n0wall/CDrouter is not able to find the ethernet
>> card.
>>

> I don't know anything about those other than m0n0wall, but m0n0wall
> will work fine out of the box as long as you give the virtual
machine
> at least two NIC's.
>
> -Chris

Is this Virtual PC setup for experimentation or "production"? If it is
for experimentation, set the NICs to "local only" this will not
require separate NICs.

If this is for "production", I would suggest install two separate NICs
in your server. One for the server/m0n0 LAN and one for the m0n0 WAN.
In the network settings for the VM you can specify how many NICs the
VM will have (up to 4). Each NIC will have a drop down menu listing
the options: Not Connected, Local Only, Shared Networking (NAT), and a
choice of the physical NICs. The first NIC listed in the settings for
the VM will be the first detected NIC in your m0n0 (de0 on mine).

I have not tested this with two physical NICs. The machine that I run
MS Virtual PC 2004 on has only one NIC. I was able to set the first
NIC in the VM as the physical NIC and set the IP.  The VM host machine
(XP) has .21 (via DHCP) and I set the m0n0 in the VM to .250. I can
access the WebGUI from XP on the host or from other machines on the
LAN.

I assume that if you connect the second NIC to your WAN and use the
VM's LAN IP as the gateway you should be in business.

James W. McKeand