[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NIC problem with Microsoft Virtual PC
 Date:  Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:34:45 -0500
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:24:11 -0500, James W. McKeand <james at mckeand dot biz> wrote:

> Is this Virtual PC setup for experimentation or "production"? If it is
> for experimentation, set the NICs to "local only" this will not
> require separate NICs.

If you're using VPC for a production firewall you need your head examined.  :)

Yeah, it should work with two physical NIC's, but I can't say that I'd
recommend running your production firewall on a VM of any sort.

You can set up some great test networks with VM's though, if you have
enough RAM to run several simultaneous VM's (I have 2 GB in my desktop
for this purpose).  Much of the m0n0wall documentation is written
based on examples from my test networks, which are more than half in
VMnet's in VMware, some bridged to multiple physical interfaces.

> I have not tested this with two physical NICs. The machine that I run
> MS Virtual PC 2004 on has only one NIC. I was able to set the first
> NIC in the VM as the physical NIC and set the IP.  The VM host machine
> (XP) has .21 (via DHCP) and I set the m0n0 in the VM to .250. I can
> access the WebGUI from XP on the host or from other machines on the
> LAN.

I haven't tested with two physical NIC's either, in VPC.  I originally
meant to use two virtual NIC's, though that wasn't clear now that I
look back, and for testing purposes I just bridged them both to one
interface.  I've only tried VPC a couple times, I use VMware most of
the time.

-Chris