[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <mkhitrov at umd dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DMZ by IP?
 Date:  Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:00:27 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:

>What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  You shouldn't need to
>forward a bunch of ports.
>
>-Chris

How would all my servers be accessible from the outside if many ports
aren't forwarded? I'll have a bunch of services running like mail, http,
ftp, ssh, vnc, and a number of others. If you consider just the ftp, for
example, which should be able to work in PASV mode, that will require
that a number of random ports be forwarded to the server. On my old
setup, DMZ was the only way to get this to work properly, especially at
times when port usage is simply unknown.

In either case, this just seems to be like an easy thing to do, so maybe
a feature for the next release? Basically in NAT forwarding create an
ability to specify if a port is not forwarded to any specific host, then
in should go to the default one. Just a thought...