[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0 not booting after power off condition
 Date:  Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:00:30 -0000
> I am having an issue with mu m0n0 box that when the PC is
> powered off abruptly (power loss or switch) it does not boot
> back in to m0n0 properly.  I have the BIOS set to power back
> on after a failure and that is working fine.

What happens on a cold boot? Does the BIOS go through its normal self-test
procedures, or does nothing happen at all? I've had a couple of machines
that struggle to boot after a cold start and they've normally been resolved
by a different power supply or motherboard.

If you aren't getting as far as the BIOS on a cold boot, it's very likely to
be a hardware problem rather than a m0n0 problem. If the machine is getting
to the BIOS on cold boot, but is failing to boot from the HDD, it's possible
that the HDD hasn't fully spun up by the time the BIOS passes control to it.
Some BIOSes have an option to increase the IDE drive detection timeout
substantially. Try setting it to 30secs (should be long enough for any HDD
to spin up) and see if it helps.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579