[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 not booting after power off condition
 Date:  Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:43:47 -0500
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:12:51 -0500, Brian <belstsrv at nauticom dot net> wrote:

> It is curious that when I had Smoothwall and IPCop on the same machine,
> that I did not have that issue.  That had me thinking it might be a
> m0n0/BSD thing, but I have no proof of that.
>
> In the BIOS, should the OS setting be 'Other' or can it be set to
> Win2000 or Win98, or does it not even matter.  I had it set to Win2000
> before with Smoothwall, etc and it was fine.  I changed it to 'Other'
> for m0n0 because I was having trouble getting the NICs to be detected,
> but those items may not have been related.  I was just trying different
> things to get m0n0 to install so that setting may not even be needed.  I
> do have the 'PNP Aware OS' set to 'N' because I think that is what does
> the trick for m0n0 to detect the NICs, so maybe this OS setting is
> giving me issues.

Depends on what that OS setting does.  I'd imagine "other" would be
the best choice for BSD and Linux.  If I had to guess, I'd say it
would do what the PNP OS setting does, but since it has a separate
setting for that I doubt if that's the case.

I'd agree that it sounds like you're having an issue of some sort with
the hard drive.  That 2 GB drive has to be 8-9 years old or so, so it
wouldn't surprise me at all if it were dying, hence taking a lot
longer to spin up.

-Chris