[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Zeb Bakken <zeb at communicationsadvantage dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, Eric Shippam <eric dot shippam at CAnetmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Filtering Bridge.
 Date:  Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:49:32 -0500
Zeb Bakken wrote:

>Hello,
>
>A little background on what I am doing:
>
>I have a pcencines WRAP board with 2 NICs and a 10MB CF that I have installed m0n0wall on. I have
enabled the Filtering Bridge in the System: Advanced function section. I have created Firewall Rules
to allow all traffic on WAN and all traffic on LAN. But I am not passing traffic through the device.

>I have spent some time looking through the archives and find more questions than answers. Has
anyone out there had any success using the filtering bridge feature? I am not very familiar with
FreeBSD. But I have gathered that there is a file called sysctl.conf where one can pass options to
the kernel and where one may specify which interfaces should be bridged. Does this need to happen
somehow? I have gone as far as intstalling FreeBSD 4.10 on a desktop machine and connecting the CF
from the WRAP board as the secondary master to see if I could locate a sysctl.conf file. I could
not. I could find a "boot" directory, a "conf" directory, mfsroot.gz and kernel.gz . Maybe I am not
mounting the right partition. I still have not looked in the kernel.gz file yet either. Am I looking
in the wrong direction? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks much.

You must have a 3rd NIC.  You can't bridge the WAN and LAN.

Chris