[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Darryl Okahata <darrylo at soco dot agilent dot com>
 To:  jesse at wingnet dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: m0n0 not booting after power off condition
 Date:  Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:32:37 -0800
Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net> wrote:

> No, it's the hard drive. I'm having the same problem with Windows
> XP on a laptop HDD right now. I copied the main partition at a low
> level with `dd`, but now all I get is a black screen at boot. I've

     Was the "main partition" (I assume you mean "active partition", as
in MBR partitions and not disklabel partitions) windows or FreeBSD?

     With FreeBSD, dd(1) is unlikely to work, unless you copy to an
identical hard drive (same manufacturer, same model number, exact same
capacity, etc.), and, even then, you've got to copy the whole disk (not
just a single partition), unless you *really* know what you're doing
(e.g., MBR/partitioning info, geometry layout, disklabel, etc.).

     With Windows, I don't see how dd(1) could ever be used to copy a
partition (the entire disk to another, completely identical hard disk,
yes, but not just a partition).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco dot agilent dot com