[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dana Spiegel <dana at sociableDESIGN dot com>
 To:  M0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Support for captive portal passthrough of hostnames in addition to ip addresses
 Date:  Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:10:19 -0500
Right now, m0n0wall supports adding a list of ip addresses that don't
require authentication to reach from in front of the captive portal. Is
it possible to add hostnames (dns names) to this? It would make it
easier for me to set up wireless networks that didn't rely on
completely static IP addresses (for example, we're moving one of our
external webservers that hosts some of the captive portal content we
use on deployed m0n0walls). In this case, we need to update all
m0n0walls with the new webserver ip address, but it would be much
easier to just have the m0n0wall pick up the new ip address like any
good internet citizen by looking at the updated dns record.

Additionally, it might be also useful to support wildcard domains, so
for example anything on *.nyciwireless.net is allowed.

Another addition to the captive portal system I'd like to see is
letting certain ports always pass through. This can be quite useful for
VOIP devices that can't authenticate using a captive portal (for lack
of a computer screen... think about cisco voip phones...).

sociableDESIGN  ::  www.sociableDESIGN.com
123 Bank Street, Suite 510, New York, NY 10014