[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert Rich <rrich at gstisecurity dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Help for folks getting 'Read error' or having problems booting m0n0wall
 Date:  Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:16:41 -0500
Hi,

(how's that for a google friendly subject)

I've been trying unsuccessfully for the last three days getting an old
HP vectra working with m0n0wall.  The box doesn't have a cdrom, wouldn't
boot from it if it did, comes with a scsi drive and is dual processor.
I slapped an ide drive off of the integrated controller, used tomsrtbt
to boot the box and pull the image over nfs to write it to the drive.

Anyway, with both the 1.1 and 1.2b3 images, i would get a 'Read error'
when the system would boot from the drive.  I could boot tomsrtbt from
the floppy and see hda4 was a freebsd partition and was active, but it
just wouldn't work.

Somehow, google hooked me up with this thread:
http://www.my-opensource.org/lists/myoss/2004-10/msg00070.html

sbootmgr is a part of the slackware distro, and comes in the form of a
floppy image.  It's a simple little deal and has a neat menu
interface...  I burned the sbootmgr image to a floppy, booted from it,
picked hda4 and voila!  m0n0wall booted like a champ.

Now that i know the problem has something to do with the boot loader, i
could probably replace the one in the image file with grub or lilo (the
only two i know anything about), but this works and gets me running.

Hope that helps. It's a frustrating problem

sbootmgr can be found at your local slack distro mirror, but here are a
few for instant clicking gratification:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-current/isolinux/sbootmgr/
ftp://ftp.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/os/slackware/slackware/isolinux/sbootmgr/

rawrite is included.  standard 'cat sbootmgr.dsk > /dev/fd0' works great
if you're on *nix

Bob