[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  m0n0 dot ch at hourfollowshour dot org, thomas at wedoweb dot se
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] openvpn roadwarrior configuration
 Date:  Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:50:21 +0000
Louis

Good document!

Couple of pointers for you.....

You said that your config was for clients on a wireless network on OPT1.  It
looks like a good setup for that purpose.  One thing to note is that you
specify the redirect-gateway + local push option which is correct for the
situation where clients are on the same network as the server.

This effectively pushes EVERYTHING down the tunnel (DNS, DHCP, evrything..).
The only thing left going across the real network path is packets to/from
OVPN.

If you are in a road-warrior scenario with remote users on completely seperate
(not physically connected) networks then this will likely cause many
problems.  I suggest that you just do redirect-gateway only.  This then
creates a default route via the tunnel, but traffic to the network local to
the client (typically for DNS) does not use the tunnel.

When the next version of the code is out (still testing but I hope tommorrow)
then there is a port change.  OpenVPN now has an official port number
assigned by IANA (1194).

You might want to try the local wireless network scenario using TAP tunnels as
well - this actually performs better for me and allows me to use bridging to
the LAN interface.

Alse I reccommend TinyCA (http://tinyca.sm-zone.net/) for managing certs etc.
- it provides a fairly smooth GUI environment and is not too difficult to
use.

Regards

Peter

On Sunday 12 December 2004 16:09, m0n0 dot ch at hourfollowshour dot org wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> Check out this link for the directions I put together.  Let me know what
> questions/problems you find with it (I'm sure there are some)!
>
> I'm hoping this is semi-right and will be a starting point on some
> better documentation for how to set this all up using a single document.
>
> http://seigal.com/docs/m0n0-openvpn.html
>
> cc'ing Peter for input,
>
> Louis
>
> thomas at wedoweb dot se wrote:
> > It can be arranged. =)
> >
> > What would you like me to do?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Thomas
> >
> >>Do you happen to have a unix/linux box with openssl installed on it?
> >>
> >>I want to validate my config, I think I got it working but I want
> >>someone else to confirm if possible before I post it.
> >>
> >>Louis

believed to be clean.