[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Breish" <cbreish at pchelpservice dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  UDP Broadcast over PPTP
 Date:  Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:49:01 -0500
Greetings,

I have been trying to setup my m0n0wall v1.2ß3 to allow for ďLANĒ gaming
from multiple locations.  I have PPTP setup and working, as we are able to
ping each other on the local subnet addresses.  The problem is the game uses
UDP broadcasts to find game servers, and those donít seem to be sent over
the PPTP connection (I can see them in a packet sniffer, unlike other normal
traffic, which goes directly to my m0n0wall box.)  The clients are all WinXP
Pro SP2.  Iím on the LAN with m0n0wall box; others are connecting over the
internet.  Iíve tried being connected to the m0n0wall box via PPTP as well
as not being connected.  Those packets donít seem to be getting to the other
PPTP clients.  I have rules setup that allow all LAN traffic with any
protocol to go to any destination, as well as all PPTP traffic with any
protocol to go to any destination.

Is it possible to get this to work with PPTP, or do I have to use IPSEC or
OpenVPN?  Iíve tinkered with OpenVPN, but havenít been able to set it up do
to the current lack of documentation (that I was able to find) for setting
it up with m0n0wall.  Iíve checked the OpenVPN site and unable to translate
what Iíve found there into correct m0n0wall settings.  If OpenVPN is the way
I have to go, is there some sort of guide I can use to get it working with
m0n0wall?

TIA for the help.

Chris Breish