[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  captive portal: possible MAC pass-through bug
 Date:  Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:11:15 -0500

I've tried the captive portal with m0n0wall 1.11
at work, and 1.2b3 at home. Both seem to give the
same behavior:

MAC pass-through doesn't seem to work as expected.

For example, in both locations I have an 802.11b
access point attached directly to my OPT1 (re-named
WLAN) interface. If I enable Captive Portal and
add the access point's MAC address then I cannot
ping the access point's IP. However, if I add the
access point's IP then I *can* ping it. Similarly,
if I disable Captive Portal then I can ping it.

I've double checked both access point's MAC addresses.

NOTE: I don't think MAC pass-through is completely
broken, as I have two laptop clients at work that
have listed MACs and are not required to authenticate.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,
P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
423-559-LINK (v)  423-559-5145 (f)