[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  captive portal: possible MAC pass-through bug
 Date:  Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:11:15 -0500
Hello,

I've tried the captive portal with m0n0wall 1.11
at work, and 1.2b3 at home. Both seem to give the
same behavior:

MAC pass-through doesn't seem to work as expected.

For example, in both locations I have an 802.11b
access point attached directly to my OPT1 (re-named
WLAN) interface. If I enable Captive Portal and
add the access point's MAC address then I cannot
ping the access point's IP. However, if I add the
access point's IP then I *can* ping it. Similarly,
if I disable Captive Portal then I can ping it.

I've double checked both access point's MAC addresses.

NOTE: I don't think MAC pass-through is completely
broken, as I have two laptop clients at work that
have listed MACs and are not required to authenticate.

Has anyone experienced this before?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,