[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question?
 Date:  Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:54:16 -0500
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:02:34 -0500, Bryan Catlin
<bryancatlin at connectgroup dot net> wrote:
> We are expanding and wanting a smaller unit, instead of our normal regular
> pcs, for in the field installs.  Most will be in semi weather proof areas
> like outdoor enclosures or at least protected from the elements but not
> necessarily heat and cold.
>
> So what I want to know is, is the Wrap or Soekris board more
> flexible/reliable to use?  We may need the 3rd LAN port and have a thru put
> of about 10Mb and 45Mb in the future.

It seems the WRAP hardware tends to have more problems than the
Soekris hardware, judging from traffic on this list related to
hardware issues on the two platforms.  Not to say WRAP's aren't
reliable though, by and large they are very much so.

WRAP is cheaper and faster.

I wouldn't expect either to hold up well to more than ~10 Mb of
internet bandwidth though.  On some less than scientific tests I've
run with iperf, in a setup somewhat like the post I quoted from Manuel
in the mentioned FAQ, I consistently got 10.1 Mb between LAN and DMZ
on a 4501 (straight routing, no NAT).  Need to hook up my 4801 and
WRAP in the same setup and try them.

-Chris