[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  alex wetmore <alex at phred dot org>
 To:  Bryan Catlin <bryancatlin at connectgroup dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question?
 Date:  Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:03:32 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Bryan Catlin wrote:
> We are expanding and wanting a smaller unit, instead of our normal regular
> pcs, for in the field installs.  Most will be in semi weather proof areas
> like outdoor enclosures or at least protected from the elements but not
> necessarily heat and cold.
>
> So what I want to know is, is the Wrap or Soekris board more
> flexible/reliable to use?  We may need the 3rd LAN port and have a thru put
> of about 10Mb and 45Mb in the future.

Each company makes a variety of products.  I also don't know how price
sensitive you are.

I am price sensitive (home user) which lead me to purchase a WRAP.
Specifically I got the WRAP 1C-2 (3 LAN port model).  This worked great
for months, and then I ran into some stability problems.  Pascal (from
PCEngines) sent me a replacement WRAP 1D-2 which solved the problems.  The
company was very easy to work with.  I don't think that hardware failures
for the WRAP boards have been common, I only have read about one other
incident.

There isn't a completely comparable product from Soekris.  The WRAP boards
have a faster processor than all Soekris boards except for the 4801 and
4826.  The Soekris 4801 boards have some additional features over the WRAP
1D-2 such as a IDE port and USB 1.1 ports.  Neither of these are necessary
for m0n0wall, so I ignored them.

The PCEngines stuff is much cheaper than Soekris.  The Soekris 4801 is
$222 vs $147 for a WRAP 1D-2.  The cheapest Soekris is about the same
price as the WRAP 1D-2 but uses a CPU with about half of the speed.  This
is probably fine for m0n0wall today, but I preferred to have the extra
headroom.

I don't think that you can really go wrong with products from either
company, it is just a matter of comparing features to cost for your
specific application.

alex