[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert Rich <rrich at gstisecurity dot com>
 To:  Bryan Catlin <bryancatlin at connectgroup dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Re: to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question? What about VIA?
 Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:04:36 -0500
I've been trying to find a sweet spot with the VIA stuff.  I think i
found it:

http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_cl_spec.jsp?motherboardId=181

It's the EPIA-CL6000E, which is just like the PD you found but lacks the
'digital i/o' port for POS applications.  You can pick them up at
axiontech.com for $136.95.  (iboxpc is selling the same thing for $190,
one of them goofed).  Add ram ($50), cf/ide adapter ($50/$10), power
supply ($45!) and case ($40!) and you're over $300.  But you have a lot
more to play with.

Among a host of other things, it has LVDS output for driving small LCD
panels, so if you get bored running m0n0 on it, you could try to hack
together a sweet little Asterisk video phone...or jam it in your car and
play tux racer while you're stuck in traffic. :P

Regardless, there would appear to be a lot more technology packed into
these suckers...  I'd have to imagine the potential performance
differential of a 600 mhz (or a full ghz for $40 more) processor running
DDR266 memory would be fairly substantial...

Toys toys toys.  Tis that time of year!