[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kev Latimer <kev at ne23 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Re: Re: to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question? What about VIA?
 Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:42:11 +0000
Robert Depenbrock wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>

>>Robert Rich wrote:
>>

>>$300+ ain't bad. A Soekris 4801 with all the trimmings is about $350. That's
>>still a heck of a lot cheaper than a Cisco PIX firewall. How large would one
>>of these VIA machines be? They look about the same size, but they require
>>a standard power supply? That would bulk up the case quite a bit, I think.
>>

>Hi!
>
>The Pix 506E has only 2 FE Interfaces (Intel), but an Celeron Class
>Processor. a 506E costs about 700$ last time I checked.
>
>It would be rather interesting to do a performance review of a Pix against
>a Soekris or WRAP M0n0wall appliance. (NAT,Static Portfiltering, etc.)
>
>regards
>  Robert

I've got a PD1000 running m0n0 over here, all installs fine - the CPU is
a 1GHz Centaur (C3-2?), as Linux reckons, and the nics are VIA Rhine
(vr), surprise.  Boots off a CF-IDE adapter.  It's running in a Travla

You can get 1U boxes for the EPIA range, and I even got a 1U box that
can hold 2 EPIA boards - better density than a blade :)

server card for a total of 6 interfaces - sweet, especially now I can
get it to work thanks to Jesse's rules ;)

Another board I noticed was the EPIA MII, a 1.2GHz CPU with an
PCB-mounted CardBus slot, wonder how good that would be for a wireless
card as an access point with no external aerial?

It would be very interesting to see one of these EPIA's up against a
PIX.  The only reference I got at the mo is routing between direct lans
copying files with samba, yes, it was fast (subjectively).

Kev