[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <baadpuppy at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PIX vs m0n0wall testing -- requesting input (was: Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Re: Re: to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question? What about VIA?)
 Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:08:55 -0500
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:22:32 +0100, Robert Depenbrock <robert at bay13 dot de> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The Pix 506E has only 2 FE Interfaces (Intel), but an Celeron Class
> Processor. a 506E costs about 700$ last time I checked.
>
> It would be rather interesting to do a performance review of a Pix against
> a Soekris or WRAP M0n0wall appliance. (NAT,Static Portfiltering, etc.)

I have access to some PIX 506E models, and also some 515 models.  I
also have a soekris 4801 I could use.  I would love to know how these
all stack up against each other.  I could probably get my hands on a
reasonable performing standard intel box as well.

However, in the interest of doing fair testing, I would imagine it
would be best to configure all devices as close to identically as
possible.  Then, using the same sets of servers and clients do the
throughput tests, just changing out the appliance between test runs.

I believe that we can do this at work.  My coworker is also interested
in the results.  He is a believer in PIX and I'm a m0n0wall
evangelist, however I believe together we can give good fair testing
and results.

So, I'm asking this list, what testing should we do?  Assume we have
the facility and ability to do static or dynamic public addresses for
WAN, NAT or public addresses for LAN, port forwarding, etc.  Pretty
much any scenario should be workable.  Once we have a good set of
things to test, and can put together a good test plan, we're both
interested in doing a good test.

Let me know,
Jim Gifford