[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Re: to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question?
 Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:15:56 -0500
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:34:26 -0500, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net> wrote:

> From my brief google searches, it looks like the Soekris boards use
> the sis driver, and the DP83815 chipset. That sucks. I bet a decent
> fxp 828559 chipset with link0 enabled (interrupt mitigation) would
> perform a lot better.
>
> What is the ethernet chipset on the WRAP boards?

National DP83816, basically the same thing.

The Nokia IP1x0 boxes are essentially a WRAP or 4801 with fxp NIC's
(though physically a lot bigger)
http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/nokia/ip110.html

The problem with throwing fxp's into something like a WRAP or Soekris
is they're far from low power.  The Nokia boxes use a lot more juice
than either of those.  And I'm sure the fxp's cost a decent amount
more.

Especially when you get to high quality gigE cards, you're talking WAY
more money than a WRAP or Soekris costs *per card*.  NexCom has some
appliances with good quality gig interfaces, but you're looking at
$2K+ USD.  Though if you need a firewall with that kind of throughput,
$2K is a drop in the bucket compared to your bandwidth and other
costs.

-Chris