[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Things to think about.
 Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:53:28 -0500
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:37:47 -0800, Bruce A. Mah <bmah at acm dot org> wrote:

> No, it was done that way because that's how I knew how to make it work.
> As m0n0wall stands right now, both the LAN and WAN ports need to have IP
> addresses assigned to them (for various reasons), and the "other side of
> the bridge" port needs to be unnumbered.  Thus the requirement for three
> interfaces.  If you can figure out how to remove at least one of these
> requirements, you'll be on your way.

Ah, yeah, didn't think about that.  I assumed that because Manuel
tends to not let people shoot themselves in the foot too much.  :)

> PS.  One thing I thought of was:  On a machine with two network
> interfaces, configure a VLAN on one of the interfaces and use that for a
> LAN port; this would allow you to do a filtering bridge setup with only
> two physical interfaces.  I believe I suggested this before, but
> apparently nobody has investigated to see if this works or not.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot when I get a chance.

This isn't really a big deal except in circumstances where you can't
have more than 2 NIC's.  Like recently we had some Soekris 4511's
laying around and wanted to put in a filtering bridge at a colo with
one, and couldn't for that reason.  Most of the time NIC's are too
cheap to worry about something like that.

-Chris